Romeo Giuliano - Associate Professor at Guglielmo Marconi University
Romeo Giuliano received a Ph.D. in Telecommunications and Microelectronic Engineering in 2004, from University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy.
He is currently an Associate Professor at Guglielmo Marconi University in the Department of Engineering Science. In 2012-2018 he was director of the Radiolabs laboratory. His main research topics are: 5G, B5G and 6G radio systems, Internet of Things (IoT) systems and C-V2X, indoor and outdoor positioning systems and Machine Learning on Communication systems.
Since 2001, he worked on several research funded projects on UWB technology, unmanned aerial vehicle and remote train control. He is author of about 140 papers in international Journals and Conferences.
How did you get to become an expert in your key topics
When I started to study the Internet and radio systems during my degree course, I knew in an instant that what I wanted to do in life would be to study, analyze and design these systems. They are systems that combine the personal mobility needs of users, the amount and latency of providing them with the required information, and the constraints imposed by other user, environmental, and spectral requests.
After graduating in telecommunications engineering degree in 1999, I began working on 3G W-CDMA cellular radio systems (GSM had recently become established in Europe). The interface gave a lot of flexibility but all users influenced each other. Later, LTE and LTE-Advanced became established up to the 5G system. In addition to the access techniques on the radio interface, I became passionate about applications supported by mobile radio systems such as terrestrial and aerial connected vehicles, indoor localization, wireless access of the smart things (or IoT), and critical communications for rescue operations.
I am currently working on 5G, B5G and 6G wireless access also supported by AI/ML. To answer the question, it has been a mixture of passion born many years ago, constant study and updating on the subject, and doing research in this field, which allows me to gain sensitivity on technical parameters and future trends.
What sub-topics are you most passionate about?
- Topics in wireless interfaces (e.g., resource scheduling, admission control, power analysis)
- Multiple Access techniques
- Machine learning to improve communication systems
- Machine learning used for vertical applications (e.g., computer vision for person and object detection)
Who influences you on these topics?
My leading colleagues (and now friends), who I worked with from many years, are: –
- Prof. Francesco Vatalaro
- Prof. Alessandro Neri
- Prof. Franco Mazzenga
What challenges are brands facing in this space?
The world of services provided in telecommunications is vast. Based on their business, companies in this sector have several elements to consider:
- Usually having an innovative terminal, which enables additional services (e.g., smart glasses, equipment for telemedicine services, interactive terminals through voice commands)
- Using standardized communication technologies, for a greater diffusion of the service among users
- Doing research on innovative topics (e.g., connected vehicles, digital health, connected robots, drones) and paying attention to the progress of competitors
- Periodically investigating new technologies that can enable new services (e.g., holograms or tactile gloves / vests, hyper-fast communications for telesurgery or connected vehicles)
What do you think the future holds in this space?
For me the main technological advances in the forthcoming network will be:
- The integration of an advanced sensors and actuator system (we can say it is within Internet of Things). That allows two points. One is the pass between the physical space to the digital or cyber space (enabling gaming, Industry 4.0 or in general advanced industrial automation). Second, it will enable the network to sense the environment pervasively and to provide the user with the most advanced services (e.g., localization, driving assistance, smart home managing) and the network to collect data for training the neural networks locally and remotely.
- The adoption of AI/ML both to manage the network and for user applications. As an example, many applications will require very time-critical transmission. In addition to transmission solutions (such as self-contained frames, mini-slots and pre-emption), AI/ML will support the deploy of the user/application contents closer to the user (from remote cloud, to the edge or locally on the user equipment) and know what can be processed in advance in order to render more fluid the scene (e.g., XR and Holographic vision).
- The trustworthiness. It means two main things. From one side the network will be secure by design always guaranteeing the confidentiality, the integrity and the resource availability. From the other side, it will provide content free of any influence of political, cultural, religious or gender ideas, thus avoiding to steer your thoughts. Moreover, provided information should not be dictated by market logics (e.g., providing the route that makes you go pass a certain area according any market rule or showing links to a product without signalling the best for the user but the best for the shopkeeper).
What brands are leading the way in this space?
It is a challenging sector, then big and technological companies lead the developments of network products such as Qualcomm, Nokia, Ericsson, Huawei and Samsung (not exhaustive list).
What are your passions outside of work?
I love running, I prepare at least 2-3 marathons a year. This complements typical teamwork in the workplace and allows me to free my mind and approach work issues from a perspective outside the workplace, fostering creativity and originality of solution.
What would be the best way for a brand to contact you?
While you’re here, why not signup to our B2B influencer marketplace, MyOnalytica? MyOnalytica is the world’s largest B2B influencer marketplace. Influencers can sign up for free and create their own profiles which will be visible to Onalytica clients which include many of the world’s largest brands. Sign up now to showcase your expertise, influence & how you would like to partner with brands.