All round dedicated sustainable energy expert with 30 years of experience in the field: consultant, business developer, manager, strategist. Renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon emission reduction. Initiator and project director of The Energy Report, thorough analysis of what it takes to get to 100% renewable energy globally, published by WWF.
How did you get to become an expert in the future of energy?
In 1986, I joined startup company Ecofys (now a Navigant company), founded by friends from Utrecht University, as its third employee. Ever since, I’ve been involved in developing our work in sustainable energy and climate, learning by working with our clients and with my colleagues, and benefiting from the huge flow of information on these topics. The interaction via Twitter helps me to continuously develop my expertise too.
What areas of the future of energy are you most passionate about?
- Working on CO2 emission reduction, to combat climate change
- Working towards a 100% renewable energy system
- Connecting the dots between all the rapid developments, both on the demand and on the supply side
Which future of energy influencers influence you?
Outside of the future of energy who else influences you?
How would you describe your offline influence?
Offline, my influence is mostly through my work, thought leadership on the energy system, my role in shaping projects. Occasional blog posts and speaking engagements. Extensive international network, combining live meetings and social media interaction.
What are going to be the key developments in the industry in the next 12 months?
- IPCC special report on keeping global warming to 1.5°C
- Making the Paris Agreement framework operational at COP24 in Poland
- Continued acceleration of solar PV on the back of very low cost
- First major projects involving hydrogen from renewable electricity
If a brand wanted to work with you, what activities would you be most interested in collaborating on?
Developing its energy and climate strategies